Monterey, CA | Part-time
Dudley Knox Library (DKL or “the Library”) is the academic library at Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) and provides scholarly content, database systems, and associated services relevant to NPS instructional and research needs. The Library maintains online database systems for discovery, access and management of print and electronic resources (more than 650,000 records). An additional backlog of print materials (not currently represented in the library databases) requires digitization plus the creation and input of original cataloguing records into the Library’s databases. The Library requires non-personal service support to include the analyzation, editing, enriching, and enhancing library copy-catalog records, create original-catalog records in the English language, and digitize materials according to professional cataloguing standards. Our selected employee shall perform a range of administrative metadata and digitization support services for the Institutional Knowledge Management unit in The Library.
- Our employee shall create, customize, enhance, and/or correct original and descriptive cataloging in MARC21 (Machine Read able Cataloging), Extended Dublin Core (EDC), and Describing Archives Content Standard (DACS) formats. DKL uses Anglo-American Cataloging Rules 2nd Edition (AACR2), Extended Dublin Core (ECD), Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR), Resource Description and Access (RDA), Describing Archives Content Standard (DACS) and local authority files as the cataloguing standards. The Contractor shall import and export single records and batch loads of multiple records in MARC and non-MARC format between various library systems and databases
- Our employee shall perform subject analysis and classification, including correcting and assigning subject headings; customizing, correcting or creating authority records to ensure access to library information resources and collections in all formats.
- Our employee shall digitize materials identified by library staff. Contractor shall correctly use the Government provided scanning equipment and software. Existing library staff will provide the contractor with the local procedures and standards for the proper handling of materials.
- Our employee shall utilize automated tools and resources to capture and import bibliographic data from OCLC, publisher databases and other sources. The contractor shall correct/add specific content to existing data within compliance, recognized cataloging standards, and DKL local guidelines.
- Our employee shall perform the associated documenting, cataloging, metadata decisions, and processes specifically utilized in the NPS environment; for gathering and reporting cataloging metrics in support of library initiatives; and for interpreting and applying appropriate metadata standards, guidelines, and protocols; and for analyzing and entering metadata for bibliographic records into library database systems including: ExLibris Alma; Calhoun, the NPS Archive and PastPerfect.
- 3-7 cumulative years of work experience (within the last 5-year period) producing catalog records
- Must show demonstrated experience in English and prepared in accordance with Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (AACR2), MARC21 (Machine Readable Cataloging), Resource Description and Access (RDA), Library of Congress Classification (LCC), Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and Extended Dublin Core standards
- Minimum of Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree
- Optional Masters of Library Science or Master of Library Information Science degree
- Able to meet the requirements for a successful National Agency background check
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Native speaker proficiency in English language
- Microsoft Office 2013 or 2016 or Office 365 proficiency
- Proficient in managing databases and rendering reports and views from the database
Minimum of Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree (junior level employee)
Master of Library Science or Master of Library Information Science degree (senior level employee)
3-5 years (junior level employee)
5 years or more (senior level employee)
National Agency background investigation
Commensurate with education and experience.
ANTICIPATED START DATE:
16 January 2019